1. The Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, July 2013. I’ve never really been that bothered about Spanish football. But if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to pick a team, Real Madrid would be the first to go into the NO WAY pile. I could point to the fact that I don’t like their kit much, or voice my disdain for their miserable fans, who routinely boo club legends during games at the slightest provocation. But the real reason I don’t like Real Madrid is Cristiano Ronaldo, a hideous individual for reasons I surely don’t have to go into. In any case I didn’t let any of that stop me from taking a tour of The Bernabeu, one of Spain’s most impressive and historical football stadiums.
2. The Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, July 2013. Opening its doors in 1947, this amazing 85000-stadium is a sight to behold and the tour takes you deep behind the scenes. And of course you can go all the way around the pitch, with the best view coming from the Presidential Box.
3. The Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, July 2013. Every football stadium tour involves a visit to the trophy cabinet and Real Madrid has plenty to show off. There are a record 12 European Cup/ UEFA Champions League statues, 2 UEFA Cups, 4 UEFA Super Cups and the small matter of 33 La Liga titles, among others. This shot takes in individual player trophies. But unfortunately it included a picture of Ronaldo’s unbearable face, so I quickly moved on.
4. The Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, July 2013. The tour also takes you through the tunnel and out onto pitch side where you can chill out in the dugouts. The leather chairs are unbelievably comfortable!
5. The Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, July 2013. The tour’s best photo op comes here in The Press Room, where visitors are able to imagine what it would be like to face the media after the final whistle. The look my friend and I went for was: Under pressure from bloodthirsty reporters after a 6-0 home defeat to Granada.
For more on Madrid, take a peek at my choice spots from across the city.
I‘ve also written a whole bunch of My 5s from all around Spain.