1. February 2018. They really know how to make a giant mall in China! Wonderboy and I were on our way back from Quanzhou’s Xunpu Oyster Village when we spotted a hulking collection of shiny towers at the side of the motorway. So we dipped in, treated ourselves to a Burger King and did some exploring.
2. February 2018. The mall was in Chinese New Year mode that day, with hanging lanterns, glitzy banners and a psychedelic forest of fake Japanese cherry blossom trees.
3. February 2018. The mall has every creature comfort a foreign traveller may need, from Starbucks, KFC, McDonald’s and Pizza Hut to a Watson’s pharmacy, an IMAX complex and a collection of westernized cafes & bars in addition to upmarket Chinese restaurants.
4. February 2018. An electric train wheels kiddies around the mall’s outer complex, which includes a huge retail village set on either side of a stream connected via a number of arched bridges.
5. February 2018. Don’t expect to get on the ferris wheel! When we tried, the self-service machine was covered up with a large green blanket. “Just get a ticket downstairs from the booth!” said the attendant. But when I poked my head through the open counter window I discovered the office was totally empty. We waited and waited, but soon got bored and left. A few minutes after that we came upon this hilarious place. “Come, come! To the bar where nothing remotely interesting ever happens!”
For more on this under-the-radar city, check out my other 5s from around Quanzhou.
Or maybe search further afield with my zillion articles from across China.
I’ve also written a short story series called Challenged in China.
I’ve been living, working and traveling all over the world since 2001, so why not check out my huge library of My 5s from over 30 countries.