1. February 2018. Appropriately perched on the side of Dafen Oil Painting Village, this handsome art museum is well worth an hour of your time. Housed in a striking modern building on a large open square, it showcases original paintings from local artists.
2. February 2018. As with the adjoining oil painting village there’s no entry fee, you can just stroll in and investigate at your leisure.
3. February 2018. It’s a huge air-conditioned space inside and you can take as many photos as you want. There wasn’t much of a security presence either, which added to the relaxed vibe. The whole museum takes a stripped back approach, with barely any literature at all to accompany the paintings, just the name of the painter and the year it was created.
4. February 2018. The museum hosts an annual Oil Painting Fair every October. There are special exhibitions and a huge live auction that fetched over 700 million RMB in 2017 ($1.1000000). I wonder how this fantastic painting, almost photographic in its clarity, would cost to take home.
5. February 2018. The museum is open daily (except Mondays) from 10:00-17:00.
For more on my adventures in the city, check out more of My 5s on Shenzhen.
Like these? Then why not have a leaf through my zillion articles from all around China.