1. April 2018. Coffee is one of the great joys of life! I can barely get through a morning without a big life-affirming mug of caffeiney goodness and I like it milky with sugar, all the way! Maybe a morning latte tinged with hazelnut or vanilla. Perhaps a mocha, although at least these days I do it without the whipped cream. In Vietnam the coffee scene was a tough one for me, the status quo being a cup of thick, malty mud served with… wait for it, condensed milk! Happily then, I heard about an exciting alternative, so off I traipsed to The Note Coffee, a certified Hanoi institution.
2. April 2018. Located in the old quarter just a few minutes walk from Hoan Kiem Lake, this charming little café might just be Hanoi’s feel-good epicenter. The mantra is simple – beaming staff, walls plastered in post-it-note messages from visitors all over the globe and… freshly brewed cups of cà phê Trứng, AKA Egg Coffee.
3. April 2018. The egg coffee is a revelation! For some reason I wasn’t expecting much, but what I got was a deliciously creamy cup of roasted goodness topped with a thick frothy layer of meringue-like eggy foam. Each cup comes with a warm smile and a handwritten note form your server.
4. April 2018. You could easily spend an hour reading some of the endless notes plastered from floor to wall. There are love letters, poems, rhymes, philosophical ponderings, admissions of guilt, song lyrics, movie quotes, questions, local travel tips and the odd phone number should one be looking for “a good time!” Some of the spicier scribblings are in the toilet.
5. April 2018. My egg coffee set me back 65.000VND (£2.15/€2.45/$2.85). They also do an excellent iced coconut coffee and a range of sandwiches and savory snacks. The Note Coffee is open daily from 06:30-23:00 and is located on 64 Lương Văn Can just a minute’s walk from Hoan Kiem Lake.
Like this? Why not also check out Hanoi’s excellent La Place Cafe.
For more on Vietnam’s amazing capital, have a look at my other 5s from around Hanoi.
Like these? Then why not have a leaf through my articles from across Vietnam.