1. Danang Cathedral, April 2018. With so much to see and do in Danang it’s easy to overlook some of its more understated spots. I’m always keen to rack up another cathedral for my world collection, so I made sure to hit this pretty pink edifice on my way to breakfast one morning.
2. Danang Cathedral, April 2018. Also known as Con Ga Church (Rooster Church), the seventy meter high structure’s bell tower is suitably topped with a rooster that stands proudly taller than the bulky tower block that sits behind it. The blend of deep, dark blue and light, airy pink makes for a good photo.
3. Danang Cathedral, April 2018. As Danang’s only operational church this is the only show in town, serving over four thousand Catholic parishioners. It was originally built for the city’s French community back in 1923.
4. Danang Cathedral, April 2018. As fate would have it the interior was closed on the day of my visit, so I had to make do with wandering around the courtyard. This grotto of the Virgin Mary is said to be a replica of France’s Lourdes Grotto. I had to wait a bit to get a proper look as, in another case of bad timing, a large, Chinese tour group suddenly flooded the courtyard and proceeded to be stereotypically obnoxious. And then they were gone again, as if in a puff of smoke.
5. Danang Cathedral, April 2018. Danang Cathedral is located on Tran Phu Street, just a ten to fifteen minute walk from the tail end of Dragon Bridge. Opening hours are 05:00-17:30 and entrance is free. As it turned out I happened to visit on a public holiday, hence the bolted doors. Bummer.
Into Cathedrals and churches? Have a look at some of my favorites from around the world with My 5s on:
Seville Cathedral (Spain).
Cologne Cathedral (Germany).
St. Joseph’s Cathedral (Hanoi, Vietnam).
Roskilde Domkirke (Denmark).
St. Lawrence’s Church (Macau).
St. Peter’s Church (Dorchester, England).
Saint Sophia Church (Harbin, China).
Esztergom Basilica (Hungary).
Jeondong Catholic Church (Jeonju, Korea).
St. Mary’s Basilica (Krakow, Poland).
Agios Nikolaos Church (Georgioupolis, Crete).
For more on this amazing Vietnamese city, take a look at my other articles on Danang.
Or maybe look further afield with my many more pieces from across Vietnam.