1. May 2018. When it comes to accommodation boy oh boy have I seen it all! I’ve stayed in luxurious five star palaces, slept in tents on beaches, spread myself out across the back of buses, laid down under the stars in the desert, clambered up to the top bunks of hostels, shacked up in charming family-owned guesthouses and suffered a wide range of crappy, filthy, miserable hovels masquerading as budget hotels. If I had to draw up a list of my favorite lodgings there’d definitely be a place for Hoi An’s fantastic Thanh Van 1 Hotel.
2. May 2018. I’d read some very encouraging reviews online, so decided to elevate myself above the hostel circuit for a few nights with a ground floor double by the pool. The décor is charming, a pleasing mix of modern and traditional, while there are also loads of plug sockets, cable TV, a small fridge and a minibar.
3. May 2018. My double came with a sparkling ensuite bathroom and, unlike so many hotels across Vietnam I always got a hot, powerful, shower to kick off my day. Towels and bins are replaced daily and there’s plenty of free toiletry stuff, which meant I barely needed to open my wash bag.
4. May 2018. A dip in the pool became an essential component of my daily schedule, a godsend really with temperatures soaring daily. It was also a great spot to spend an hour editing photos and attending to Leighton Literature duties, especially during those quiet moments when I had the place to myself. The Wifi always held up too, a rarity across the Vietnamese hotel scene.
5. May 2018. At the end of the day it’s the staff that awards Thanh Van 1 Hotel 10/10 status. Decked out in their unmissable orange uniforms, the women here are incredibly helpful and friendly. Their English is virtually faultless, while they also speak French and Chinese. In fact, I would often witness one of the ladies sitting at reception reciting Mandarin phrases in her downtime. Now that’s dedication. A special mention goes to the wonderful Kelly, pictured here. She single handedly sorted out my trip out to The Cham Islands and back, leaving no detail unattended.
To read about one of my worst hotel experiences, check out my short story The Shithole.
For my detailed guide to this gorgeous Vietnamese city, dive into My 5s on Hoi An.
Like these? Check out many more My 5s from all over Vietnam.