Reading from China? This My 5 contains a YouTube video, which can only be viewed with a VPN!
Want to get the full perspective? Before reading this, why not dip into my article: Pingjiang Road Part I.
1. December 2018. It was quickly turning into a delightful afternoon wandering around Suzhou’s ancient canal street, Pingjiang Road. I’d already walked perhaps a quarter of the way down, pausing here and there to wave at a few families bobbing by on wooden barges. After a brief stop at the pretty Hu Xiang Shi Bridge, I was curious to see what further delights lay ahead.
2. December 2018. If you want to try some local delicacies Pingjiang Road has got you covered! There are countless stores selling Suzhou style biscuits and cake (very dry and usually with a fruit filling), as well as Blan Bunny’s Tea, an Alice in Wonderland style grotto with cutesy packs of sweet, fusion teas. Meat lovers should keep an eye open for Piggy Chasing Meat, a pork jerky store that offers free samples before you take the plunge on a Jiangsu Province sized bag.
3. December 2018. Pingjiang Road was full of the Christmas vibe that day, with little trees in most of the stores and beautifully crafted decorations abound. “Marry Christmas!”exclaimed one shop, “We Wash you in a Christmas!”proclaimed the next. But nothing beat gay, walking Christmas tree man who was doing some kind of catwalk routine while a scruffy old man dressed as The Penguin took photos. I was stood watching proceedings when, quite suddenly, he changed course and marched purposefully over to me with an unexpected gift!!!
4. December 2018. Some of Pingjiang Road’s best discoveries come in the adjacent streets and side alleys, some of which contain noted residences with little plaques on the wall telling you that some ancient old poet once lived there. This is Daliuzhi Lane, with its cavernous coffee shop sat behind a pair of sleeping pedicab drivers. It was also nice to see a cleaning boat chugging along picking up all the trash that Chinese locals and tourists alike thoughtlessly chuck into the canals.
5. December 2018. The further you walk into the warren off alleys running off Pingjiang Road, the greater the rewards. This nameless little residential street was gorgeous and deserted save for a lone woman doing some washing.
I’ve been living, working and traveling all over the world since 2001, so why not check out my huge library of My 5s from over 30 countries.