1. December 2018. Covering all of Suzhou’s plentiful sights in just five days requires good planning and a strong pair of legs, especially for someone like me who tries to do as much as I can on foot. When I was researching my trip back in Ruian I initially thought I’d skip Suzhou Museum. I’ve never been a huge history buff and struggle to get excited by glass cases of pots, pans and farming tools. But then I realized the museum was right next door to the Humble Administrator’s Garden on Dongbei Road and free to enter. So I pushed all those meh reviews to the back of my head and ducked inside to grab five shots for a cheeky article.
2. December 2018. Suzhou Museum is an exceptionally modern space with a cubist geometric design. Bypassing the aforementioned pots and pans, I spent a little time wandering through a contemporary art gallery featuring up and coming artists from across China.
3. December 2018. Suzhou Museum also features a cool section on traditional Chinese clothing. Apparently Suzhou used to be famed for its textile factories as far back as the Song and Yuan dynasties. It was also a major centre for silk production. This exhibition focuses on China’s developing fashion trends in association with the historical rise of decorative arts.
4. December 2018. There are further exhibitions on calligraphy, paintings and handmade crafts, all of which failed to hold my attention. All I could focus on was the smell of coffee, so I followed it down to the ground floor museum café, which is a beautiful space overlooking a small bamboo garden.
5. December 2018. I ended up staying at the Suzhou Museum café for two hours! The waiter was really friendly, the wifi solid, the coffee decent (albeit expensive) and the reindeer cake… well I couldn’t help myself! It was Christmas day and I had the perfect setup for LL duties played out to a backdrop of Christmas carols on the sound system. For this perfect little spot alone I’m glad I dropped by!
I’ve been living, working and traveling all over the world since 2001, so why not check out my huge library of My 5s from over 30 countries.